Skip Hire Preparation
To ensure your skip hire transaction runs as smoothly as possible, it is critical that you carry out skip hire preparation activities.
Skip hire preparation ahead of your skip delivery will not only give you peace of mind, it will also help to protect you from any additional or unexpected surplus charges. Remember, we can only provide a quote based on the information you provide us, so the more precise you are, the more accurate our quote can be.
Before finalising your order, take the time to consider the following:
- Is the skip of a sufficient size for the volume of waste you need to dispose of? If you are unsure, use our Skip Hire Size Calculator to give you a rough guide.
- Have you considered the type(s) of waste that you will be placing in your skip and are they within the permitted waste types? Still unsure? Visit our FAQs to find out more
- Are you sure that none of the waste you plan to dispose of is categorised as hazardous? If in doubt, visit our FAQ page or simply give us a call.
- Will you be able to fill the skip and have it ready for collection within the 14-day hire period?
- If placing the skip on your private property, have you checked there is sufficient room for it to be delivered and the area is free from obstructions?
- If placing the skip on a public highway, have you applied for and received a permit to allow you to do so?
Why choose Skip Hire UK?
- Low cost, hassle-free skip hire
- Fast and reliable delivery
- Swift collection, whenever you’re ready
- Friendly and helpful customer service
Frequently asked questions
We have years of skip hire expertise and are only too happy to share our knowledge regarding skip hire preparation. Below are some of the questions that we are most frequently asked.
To make sure we can drop off your skip without any significant problems, a driveway length of 2.75m is required to accommodate one of our vehicles.
Yes, but only if you have secured a permit from your local council. The prices and notice period can vary from council to council, so we are unable to advise on how much you are likely to pay for a permit. If required, we can apply for a permit on your behalf – please call our customer service team on 0845 373 1394 for further information.
If you don’t want to pay for a permit, or your application has been rejected, we also offer a ‘wait and load’ service, where a driver will wait while your skip is loaded.
It is imperative that you do not fill a skip beyond the level load line, as this may render it overweight or unsafe to collect. In either case, you may then face an additional charge to remove it.
A full, heavy skip does have the potential to damage block paving or tarmac. If your skip is likely to be particularly heavy, placing wood underneath it may help to spread the load and reduce the damage. Neither Skip Hire UK, nor our service partners, will be liable for any damage caused to private property. If concerned, consider hiring two smaller skips instead.
During the order process, we will ask you what type(s) of waste you are seeking to dispose of. This is because the disposal of some forms of waste are more expensive than others, and so will help ensure we offer you the lowest possible price. Some materials are categorised as hazardous waste and so cannot be placed in any of our skips.
This will depend greatly on what type of waste requires disposal and how much of it needs removing. It is important to be realistic about skip size, as it may work out cheaper to hire one larger skip, rather than two smaller ones. If you’re still unsure, please contact our helpful customer service team on 0845 373 1394.